Bus Rider Handbook
PARENTS AND BUS RIDERS
The goal of the Bus Rider's Handbook is to help provide a safe and enjoyable experience for students who ride the school buses. Parents are responsible for reading and discussing the material in this handbook with their children. Riding a school bus is a privilege provided by the school district and should be treated as such.
To ignore these rules will result in disciplinary action or suspension of the privilege.
Parents or designated adults are required to be at the bus stop for the loading /unloading of Pre-K and Kindergarten students. If no one is there to receive the student, the student will be returned to his/her campus and it will become the parents' responsibility to get the student home. After this occurs three times for the school year, the student will be denied transportation privileges for the remainder of the school year.
Bus registration will now be done online. The online form can be found on the Transportation Page of the Bay City ISD Website. For the first two weeks of school, all riders will be picked up in the morning regardless of registration status. Starting on the first day of school, unregistered students will not be able to ride a bus home in the afternoon until they are registered. It is very important to make sure all students are dropped off at the correct bus stop each afternoon. This can only be achieved by requiring all PM riders be registered to a bus route.
1. Obey the instructions of the bus driver at all times.
2. Board and leave the bus at designated stops only.
3. Ride only the bus to which you are assigned.
4. Any student attempting to ride a bus to which he/she is not assigned must have a note signed by the parent. This note must be given to the principal/assistant principal for approval. A temporary bus pass will be issued to the student and must be given to the bus driver.
CONDUCT ON THE BUS RULES
1. Be respectful and follow all directions of the driver at all times.
2. Stay seated facing front with your feet on the floor.
3. Keep your hands, feet and objects to yourself and inside the bus.
4. Do not use foul language at any time.
5. Follow all classroom rules to not disrupt the bus ride.
6. No eating or drinking allowed on the bus except for a (plastic) water bottle.
7. Use of cell phones, and other electronic devices, will be allowed. Earbuds or headphones must be used at all times. No bluetooth speakers will be permitted. Phone calls are not to be made while on the bus.
8. Unauthorized use of the emergency exit is prohibited.
9. No defacing of school property.
PROCEDURES FOR WAITING FOR THE BUS
1. Be at the bus stop at least five minutes before scheduled pick-up time. The driver WILL NOT wait or honk the horn.
2. Stand on the sidewalk or back from the roadway while waiting for the school bus. When the bus approaches, form a line and be prepared to load immediately.
3. Stand clear of the bus until it comes to a complete stop.
4. If you miss the bus, go home immediately. It will now become the parents' responsibility to get their child to school.
5. Parents should instruct their child on what procedures to follow if the bus is missed.
LOADING THE BUS
1. Do not push or shove.
2. Use the handrail and steps.
3. The bus driver will assign seats. Be sure you sit in your assigned seat.
4. Go to your seat. The bus will not move until all students are seated.
GETTING OFF THE BUS
1. Stay seated until the bus is completely stopped.
2. Use the handrail and take one step at a time when leaving the bus.
3. Wait for your turn to leave the bus.
4. Stay clear of the bus after getting off. Do not chase or hang onto the bus.
CROSSING THE STREET OR HIGHWAY
1. When crossing the street or highway, walk in front of the bus and wait for the driver to signal that it is safe to cross.
2. Check in both directions and walk directly across the road.
3. Never cross the road behind the bus.
4. CAUTION: Be alert for vehicles that do not stop when the bus is loading or unloading.
5. Cross the streets at intersections when possible. Obey all traffic signals and signs on your way to and from the bus stop.
PROHIBITED ITEMS ON THE BUS
1. Tobacco of all kinds.
2. Live animals or insects.
3. Glass containers.
4. Alcoholic beverages.
5. Weapons, explosive devices, fireworks, harmful drugs or chemicals.
6. Open flames of any kind (matches, lighters, etc.)
7. Any object (ex. musical instrument, shop or science projects) too large for students to hold in their laps and cannot extend beyond their assigned space.
8. Food and/or drinks (water in plastic bottles are allowed)
9. Helium filled/floating balloons.