Bay City ISD Superintendent of Schools,
Dr. Marshall Scott III
Dr. Marshall Scott III was selected by unanimous vote of the Bay City ISD Board of Trustees on April 24, 2017 to lead BCISD as its next Superintendent of Schools. Dr. Scott officially took over BCISD leadership on June 1, 2017.
Dr. Scott has approximately 20 years experience in education. Immediately prior to coming to Bay City, he served since 2016 as the Executive Director of Elementary Schools in the Baltimore County Public School system. There, he supervised 16 academically-challenged elementary schools. From 2013-16 he served as Assistant Superintendent of Middle Schools for that same school district. In Texas, he most recently worked as the Field Supervisor at Rice University for the Education Entrepreneurship Program from 2011-2013.
Dr. Scott began his education career in the Houston Independent School District, where he worked from 1997-2013. He last served there as the School Improvement Officer, directly reporting to the Chief of Elementary Schools. He is a former principal of Louisa May Alcott Elementary, was an ESL assistant principal at Montgomery Elementary School and Young Learner Charter School, and worked as a lead science and math teacher at Dodson Elementary Schools as well as a third and fifth grade teacher at the TSU/HISD Laboratory School – all in HISD.
Some of the highlights of Dr. Scott’s accomplishments include:
Baltimore County Public Schools (111,000 students)
· Seven of ten middle schools ranked in top quartile for growth based on academic progress measures
· Suspension rates and office referrals lowered in elementary schools
· Opened first health sciences middle magnet program in the district
· Reduced student suspension rates in eight middle schools
· Developed systemic framework to increase number of elementary students reading on grade level by third grade
· Chaired committee responsible for developing systemic strategies to support students moving from fifth to sixth grade
Houston Independent School District (205,000 students)
· Designed Area I Aligned Leadership Framework Coaching Model for Principals
· Represented Area 1 on the Recruitment Taskforce and Workforce Development Team
· Supervised 14 elementary schools totaling 7,000 students 2010-2012. Eight out of 14 ranked in top two quartiles of value-added learning.
· Facilitated the development and opening of two state of the art Elementary schools.
· Appointed as principal to turnaround low-performing elementary school and achieved TEA’s highest rating in 2009 & 2010 of Exemplary, and second highest rating of Recognized in 2007 & 2008
· As principal, significantly closed achievement gap for Economically Disadvantaged students in all subject areas
Dr. Scott earned a B.B.A. in Business Administration from Northwood University in 1997, and his M.Ed. and Ed.D. from Texas Southern University in 2003 and 2011, respectively. He is married to Dr. Roberta Scott, and they have six children. Both are from Beaumont, Texas.